Sarah Tahir shares five quick and easy recipes for the Jinqiao student.
Do you have an 8:15 every morning, but hate grabbing food at the cafeteria? Do you need something quick and easy to wake you up? Get past our lack of ovens and try this five minute recipe now!
Breakfast Cookie in a Mug
- ½ Banana
- 1 ½ tablespoons peanut butter
- ½ tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 4 tablespoons oats
- 1 tablespoons raisins/nuts/chocolate chips (optional)
- In a large microwavable mug, mash up the banana
- Mix in the peanut butter, milk and honey
- Add the oats and optional raisins/nuts/chocolate chips and stir until combined
- Microwave for 45 seconds to 1 minute or until the top is firm to the touch
Have a little more time in the morning? Check out this recipe for a Rice Cooker Cinnamon Pancake.
Sick of halal but too broke for Sherpas? Here’s an easy to make pasta dish that will help you feel like an adult.
One-Pot Sausage and Spinach Tortellini
Note: Mushrooms can be used as a substitute for the sausage/hot dogs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 0.2 kg sliced smoked sausage (2-3 hot dogs will do!)
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cans sun-roasted diced tomatoes
- ½ cup half-and-half
- Tortellini pasta
- 2-3 cups roughly chopped baby spinach
- Salt and pepper
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, warm olive oil
- Add sausage (or hot dogs) and cook until browned on both sides
- Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds
- Add tomatoes and half-and-half, stir and bring to a simmer
- Add pasta and cover, allow to cook for approximately 10 minutes
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Stir in chopped baby spinach
Need something slightly faster? Here’s a recipe for a 10 minute risotto cup courtesy of Brit +Co.
We may not have ovens, but we sure do have a way to fry things! So let’s fry all the things.
Zesty Chicken Poppers
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- Oil for frying
- 5 tablespoons butter
- ⅓ cup honey
- ½ cup sriracha
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 teaspoons lime juice
- Cut chicken breasts into cubes
- Combine chicken, salt, pepper, garlic, and ginger in a medium-sized bowl, toss until fully coated
- Place flour and beaten eggs in two separate bowls
- Roll each piece of chicken in flour, coat in egg, then dip into flour once again
- Deep fry chicken, in a batch, until golden and cooked through, this will take approximately 10 minutes
- In a saucepan, over medium heat, combine honey, butter, sriracha, soy sauce and lime juice
- Add cooked chicken and stir until completely covered
Can’t eat meat? Try this 5 Minute Vegetarian Burrito Bowl!
With the amount of work we all have it is easy for us to neglect ourselves, but don’t let finals keep you from eating well! Fuel yourself with this quick snack.
Avocado Toast with Egg
- 1 slice toast
- ½ avocado, mashed
- 1 egg
- Thinly sliced green onion (optional)
- Sriracha (optional)
- Toast bread and spread with mashed avocado
- Top with over easy fried egg
- Add optional green onion and drizzle of sriracha
Need something you can take on the go or to the academic building? Check out these Peanut Butter Protein Balls or bring along some popped popcorn!
This is obviously the best part.
Oreo Cheesecake Truffles
- 36 oreos
- 1 package softened Philadelphia cream cheese
- 3 cups semi sweet chocolate (substitute with white chocolate if preferred)
- Put oreos in a ziploc bag and crush into crumbs
- Set ¼ cup of cookie crumbs aside for garnish (optional)
- Combine remaining crumbs with cream cheese in a medium-sized bowl
- Mix until smooth and dark brown
- Shape mixture into balls using the palms of your hands and set aside
- Melt chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl for 3o second intervals, stirring in between
- Finish heating when most of the chocolate is melted, not all
- Stir continuously until completely melted
- Roll 2-3 truffles at a time in the bowl of chocolate until fully coated
- Add garnish
- Let cool in the refrigerator for at least 45 minutes or until firm
This article was written by Sarah Tahir. Please send an email to email@example.com to get in touch.
Photo Credit: Breakaway Cook